Hillborough Junior School is working in partnership with The Shire Foundation, as the DfE accredited Teacher Training provider, and with a cluster of primary schools to offer school-based teacher training. The School Direct (salaried) training route will be offered for 2019/20, through the Hillborough Junior School/Shire Foundation Alliance schools, for up to 35 places.
THE SCHOOL DIRECT (SALARIED) ROUTE
This is an employment based route into teaching intended for high quality graduates, usually with three or more years career experience. School Direct (salaried) trainees earn a salary while they train in their employing school.
The majority of training takes place in the employing and second placement schools, including substantial teaching experience. There is also a centre-based training element consisting of 23 days of training based at the Shire Foundation located in Hillborough Junior School, Luton. For this reason, HJS/Shire Alliance can usually only work with trainees/schools located within a 30- mile radius of the training centre.
Trainees following this route can also opt, for an additional fee, to undertake a PGCE qualification, which is validated by The University of Buckingham. On successful completion, 60 credits at masters level will be awarded.
- Honours Degree: usually 2:2 or above.
- Prior experience in a school is not required. However, where candidates have been able to gain experience in schools, Shire might find references from these schools a helpful part of our recruitment and selection process.
- GCSE English language, mathematics and science grade C/4 or above (or equivalent). Hillborough Junior School/Shire Alliance will consider applicants who have one of these qualifications pending, but they must all be in place by the date of enrolment of the programme. Recognised equivalency tests are accepted.
- Overseas equivalents are accepted. NARIC [The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom]
- Literacy and numeracy professional skills tests must be passed within 12 weeks of the date of interview.
DEBARRING BARRING SERVICE (DBS)/MEDICAL CHECKS:
Hillborough Junior School/Shire Foundation Alliance schools are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and expects all trainees to share this commitment. All those applicants offered a School Direct training place will be required to undertake a Debarring Service Check and medical check prior to the start of the course.
Careful consideration will be given to every applicant regardless of ethnic background, disability, gender, religion or age.