The staff and pupils of Hillborough Junior School are striving to make a difference to the environment! We are members of the "Eco-Schools Award Programme" and are currently working towards our Bronze award.
The Eco-Schools programme is focused on nine key topics. These are:
- School grounds
- Healthy living
- Global citizenship
Environmental issues form part of the curriculum covered in each year group including pollution, the greenhouse effect, conservation, the rain forest and habitats of animals.
Our Eco Warriors are very active within school. They empty the recycling bins in each classroom, litter pick around the school, encourage people to recycle and save energy wherever possible, and present the Eco Class Award to the class who has been most Eco Friendly that week.
5 and 10 Minute Walking Map
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD - MAHATMA GANDHI
Fifteen easy ways to help the environment:
- When you are outside, pick up your rubbish and don't drop litter.
- Have a garden and learn how to care for it.
- Every year, plant new things in your garden.
- Have a compost bin and put your organic waste in it.
- When you fish, make sure you follow the rules of fishing. The rules are there to protect the fish, but in the long term, they protect the people.
- Turn off the lights when they are not needed.
- Turn the tap off when you brush your teeth to save water.
- Walk to school or ride your bike.
- Recycle your clothes. Donate them to a charity shop or recycling centre.
- Buy products with less wrapping and packaging.
- Use reusable bags and boxes instead of plastic bags.
- Do not print things you do not have to.
- Use recycled paper.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Try to fix things before buying new ones.